There’s nothing wrong with enjoying a few, well-deserved drinks from time to time. Here are our top tips on how to Enjoy Responsibly.
EASY WAYS TO ENJOY RESPONSIBLY
It’s easy to enjoy a drink or two and still be safe. Try following these tips when you’re next drinking:
- Include food! Have something to eat before you start drinking – food in the stomach allows alcohol to be absorbed more slowly.
- Pacing and spacing! Try not to rush your drink, just enjoy it! And space your alcoholic drinks out with a soft drink or water in between.
- Don’t feel pressured. Be careful if you’re drinking in ‘rounds’ as you might end up drinking more and faster. Try pairing off to buy drinks instead. And avoid top-ups to make it easier for you to keep track of how much you’re drinking – it’s not rude to say no!
- Watch out for that heavy-hand! When you’re at home, be careful not to pour much larger measures than you would get in a bar. Buy a drinks measure to check how much you’re drinking.
- Stick with friends. Don’t go to parties alone and travel home with friends too.
- Take a break! If you’ve had a big night out, avoid alcohol for a couple of days.
- Keep track! The UK Government guidelines advise it’s safest not to drink more than 14 units per week and it’s best to spread that over three days or more.