From time to time our shareholders receive unsolicited phone calls or correspondence offering to purchase their shares at apparently inflated prices or asking questions about their shareholdings. The caller or correspondence might claim that they represent a majority shareholder who is looking to take over Greene King, or that they work for Greene King, or even that they work for a broker or analyst covering the sector.
What should you do?
Please note that the company is not the subject of a take-over attempt, hostile or otherwise, and that approaches such as these are usually made by unauthorised companies and individuals. The approaches can be very persistent and extremely persuasive. We advise our shareholders to be very wary of any unsolicited advice, offers to buy shares at a premium or offers of free reports into the company.
If you receive any unsolicited investment advice or any offers to purchase your shares:
- Make sure you get the correct name of the person and organisation
- Check that they are properly authorised by the FCA before getting involved. You can check at www.fca.org.uk
- The FCA also maintains on its website a list of unauthorised overseas firms who are targeting, or have targeted, UK Investors and any approach from such organisations should be reported to the FCA so that this list can be kept up to date and any other appropriate action can be considered. If you deal with an unauthorised firm, you would not be eligible to receive payment under the Financial Service Compensation Scheme
- Do not provide any personal details to callers e.g. bank details, full address
- Do not send your share certificates to anyone
- Please report the approach to the FCA by completing an online form at www.fca.org.uk/scams
- If you have already paid money to share fraudsters you should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 204
The FCA advise that, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is; they recommend ten steps on their website to help protect shareholders and consumers from scams such as this. More detailed information on this or similar activity can be found on the FCA website
View the current Greene King share price on our website or in most daily newspapers.